These pages talk a lot about my work. That’s for a good reason: I work a lot and tend to define myself that way. That’s not all there is to me though. I have long been a connoisseur of many of life’s finer things and that continues today. Among my favorite things in the world (outside of a well done job) are:
- Above Average Conversation – I’m a sucker for a good conversation whether it be sports, politics, “what would you do with a billion dollars?” or trying to guess how the four people in the next booth know each other.
- Walloon Lake – My family has been vacationing at a log cabin on Walloon lake known as “Breezes Over Walloon” since the mid 1930s when my Great Grandfather bought the place. It’s picturesque views and crisp mornings have framed many of my favorite moments with my family.
- Great Food / Cooking – I may only be 12.5% Italian, but it does not stop me from enjoying the food. I am a huge fan of going to the strip district and picking up some fresh ingredients from the market and Penn Mac and whipping up a masterpiece but I also don’t mind being served at one of Pittsburgh’s many fine restaurants (not too many great Italian restaurants though).
- Craft Beer – I’m partial to IPAs and enjoy everything this side of a really rough stout or a really fruity hefeweizen. Mostly, I enjoy sampling new things at either Fat Heads (where I’m on the wall as a Frequent Flyer Beer Tour Finisher) or Smokin Joe’s.
- Coffee – I am more than a bit of a coffee snob. I like it black, so the coffee itself better not need to hide behind fruity creamers. I have 5 coffee makers (2 single cup Keurigs, 2 drip and one espresso) and 2 coffee grinder in my house (I live with my brother) and I visit Fortunes in the strip for a new blend of beans several times per month.
- Scotch Whiskey – I got hooked on Scotch back in college and have been a bit of a connoisseur ever since. I mostly try to stay on Speyside Single Malts, but can appreciate a good, light blend or a heavy peaty cask strength Islay.
- Fine Cigars – I have been a member down at Blooms Cigar for the last few years and love to try new and well-known cigars from their huge selection (as well as the occasional imported one, if you know what I mean). I know a lot of great people who smoke cigars and there’s no finer repellant for others who would join the conversation then lighting up.
- A Day Baseball Game – I know that loving Pittsburgh means I’m supposed to be a Steeler fan first, and I do love the Steelers, but baseball is my favorite sport. I love the stats, the day-in-day-out grind of the season, watching prospects crawl up the minor league system and a sport that’s slow enough paced that I can get some work done while I watch it.
I know this sounded a little bit like a dating profile, but I wanted to give the internet a glimpse in to the kinds of things I do when I’m not growing a company or going for a run.