This is not the first Sunday that I’ve rolled out a picture of sauerkraut from the Hofbräuhaus in Pittsburgh. There’s something different this time though, I actually consumed it! I was convinced by a friend that Sauerkraut balls are actually tolerable, even for people who don’t like Sauerkraut so I decided to give them ago. What you can’t tell in the picture above is that my hand was actually quivering as it brought the fried rotten cabbage to my lips. Fortunately for me sauerkraut balls are delicious, proving an old piece of wisdom that I first learned in my time living in the south, “Almost anything tastes good deep fried!”
On to the purpose of Sauerkraut Sundays… As I go through the week, I use Twitter to send out little updates and links. I realize that I do this quite a bit and that not all of you use Twitter, so with that in mind I’d like to take Sunday to do sort of a week in review. I’ve selected the most useful of my tweets from the last week and placed them in to the categories that I use in this blog.
Pittsburgh AND Startups/Social Media!!!
- Look what @Piratesbeerguy is doing (check his profile)… first time Twitter ever got me a beer.
- Another @Alphalab blog company profile, this one on @comvibe. Met them briefly, very interested in where they take this: http://ow.ly/5Cc7y
- PNC is messing with a new Android app. http://ow.ly/5CYGM
- Great story on @ImaginePGH about a half-dozen or so Pittsburgh Tech Companies!!! http://ow.ly/5CZg9
- Wow local startup @deeplocal is at it again with a bike that you shift through the power of thought. http://ow.ly/5EiIo
- Local company @DocuClass has launched a cloud version of their ECM product: http://ow.ly/5EiWo
- The people at the Warhol museum have made an app that makes you look like a Warhol silk screen: http://ow.ly/5EiP3
- RT @AvereSystems: Whiskytree Selects Avere http://ow.ly/5EzCg << Local startup picks up a new client!
- RT @MikeCaps: Colleague on the announced merger of M*Modal (our company) & MedQuist. Great writeup, Lynn! http://bit.ly/oDcF6G << Congrats!
- Got to meet @cwpress this afternoon, picked up a >.500 shirt to wear out to watch the game this evening. http://yfrog.com/kfti3gdj
- RT @Adaptivity: We think the licensing deal between $MSFT and $AMZN is a good sign for enterprise cloud. http://ow.ly/5Eixx
- Eve makes an argument for legislation permitting food trucks. Sounds smarter than limiting strip clubs. http://ow.ly/5AMjK
- I am not nearly drunk enough to be here. (@ Villa Southside w/ 2 others) http://4sq.com/nsHWmD
- Decent review of the Chromebook’s strengths and weaknesses for power users (by @larrypress): http://bit.ly/q3j1iD
- Really interesting to see Pittsburgh’s street grid in 1865, Civil War Pittsburgh was remarkably similar. http://ow.ly/5Cc4K
- Bam! RT @benschmitt70 The 10 Most Beautiful Places in America | USA WEEKEND | http://goo.gl/mYcdp #Pittsburgh is No. 2
- Creative little ploy to get hired using Twitter. http://bit.ly/ivREaJ
- Ha, The Google+ User with the most followers? Mark Zuckerberg of course. http://tcrn.ch/kS8Gsv
- In the wake of Obama’s Twitter Town Hall, @parislemon has some great perspective on how far Twitter has come: http://tcrn.ch/oCI7Ri
- RT @Techmeme: Facebook and Google+’s video chat tools compared http://cnet.co/qn7BFR << love to see real competition in social networking.
- Civilization for Facebook is a smart play… I had thought the same thing about SimCity. http://bit.ly/oGvpLr
- I guess it’s not a big surprise, but #Pirates TV ratings are up 33% year on year! http://ow.ly/5Cc1z
- If you’re a baseball geek, you’ll love this… a picture of all the trades that lead to the current Pirates’ team: http://ow.ly/5FswC
- Where were you the last time the #Pirates were in first place this late in the season (1997)? I was 14, just started HS at Mt. Lebo!
- Another fun #Pirates chart: Division race the last 19 years (via @chrisbriem): http://bit.ly/qV69bg
- Great article on building an Enterprise Software Company that Doesn’t Suck: http://ow.ly/5Bkm0… I’ve learned how hard it is the last 3 yrs
- A first stab at the big Google+ question, “How will this impact SEO?” http://rww.to/qyHajw
- Great @sethgodin on why getting older should only make doing the hard things more enjoyable. http://ow.ly/5AMkO
- Today’s @SethGodin (http://ow.ly/5Ftpy) makes the same point I did yesterday (http://ow.ly/5FtrJ)… you can def tell who the pro author is.
- Prescription Drug Ad: “Pristiq is thought to work because…” Really? Thought To? That’s Reassuring.
- This book looks very interesting, I added it to my reading heap. http://bit.ly/njivIo
Blog Posts from this blog:
- Blog Post: I’m starting up a series on startups in the Enterprise IT space, might be an interesting couple of years. http://ow.ly/5Boee
- Blog Post: Google+ is new, twittery, not-to-twittery and maybe a bit much: http://ow.ly/5Ccc8
- Blog Post: Dropbox is the kind of company (in a commodity industry) that can’t lead forever. http://ow.ly/5CYZL
- Another example of the kind of commodity idea I talked about on the blog this am (http://ow.ly/5CYTc) is VMWare (http://ow.ly/5CYPC)
- Blog Post: Have you thought about what motivates you? Dan Pink has and he found some surprising results: http://ow.ly/5Fucv
- Blog Post: Why do I work in startups? Because they are naturally better at innovation. http://ow.ly/5G8zD